Change of Land Use/Land Division/Subdivision

A change of land use petition is required if you wish to use your property in a way not listed as a 'Permitted Use' for the zoning district the property is in (unless a conditional use has previously been approved).  See the Dane County's Zoning District Fact Sheets for permitted and conditional uses by zoning district.

Your requested change of land use could involve a rezone, a conditional use permit (CUP), or both, and often involves a land division/subdivision as well.  The Change of Land Use Petition is also required for Design Review under TCG Section 12.08, which begins on page 11 at this link: TCG Chapter 12 - Building Code.

Possible changes of land use are governed by the Town's Comprehensive Plan.  Specifically, Map 10 and the Visions and Directions Volume define areas and  policies for the future land use districts.  See  for more information.

Procedures for changes of land use, land division and subdivision are defined in section 15.04 of TCG Chapter 15 - Land Division and Planning Code.  Limitations apply to changes of land use in the City of Madison's Potential Expansion Area (area A in Intergovernmental Agreement (Madison-Town of Cottage Grove).

In all cases, a Petition for Change of Land Use will need to be filed with the Town Clerk-Treasurer, along with applicable fees, by the first Wednesday of the month of the Plan Commission meeting you wish to be heard at.  The petitioner should have already applied to the Dane County Zoning Division before applying at the Town.  Please see information at these links:

You will begin your journey by appearing before the Town Plan Commission, which will make a recommendation to the Town Board.  You will also be required to appear before the Town Board.   Then, the Town Clerk-Treasurer will report the Town Board's action to Dane County for consideration by the Zoning and Land Regulation Committee (ZLR) and the County Board.